Monday, October 16, 2006

MEDIA MONDAY
What have you been reading, watching, listening to?

Article 19 Film Recommendation: The Departed
I've been a Scorsese fan since college--wrote a senior thesis on existentialist themes in Raging Bull, Taxi Driver and The Last Temptation of Christ; and, back when I cared about academicy stuff, delivered a paper on Cape Fear at a stuffy conference. I still think that's one of the most fascinating, underrated remakes ever. All that to say, I might be a little biased. But I think The Departed is fabulous--maybe his best since Goodfellas. All of the technical prowess of The Aviator--great sound, fascinating frames, perfect editing, beautiful shots--plus a tight story that manages to be dramatic despite telegraphic all of the basic plot inevitabilities. And Jack Nicholson is perfect, of course.

No comments: