Monday, October 09, 2006

MEDIA MONDAY
Because nothing else is really going on in the news today, right? What have you been reading, listening to, watching?

Off His Medication Again?
We can only hope. David Lynch has a new film. It's 3 hours long and sounds like it will make no sense whatsoever. I can't wait.

Closing Shop
The Tower Records here in Nashville is closing. Is this happening in your town as well? I can't say I'm surprised. Tower was once the best place to get obscure, independent or import recordings, and also easily the best collection of classical and jazz. But, these days I can buy all of that and more, and cheaper, at Amazon. With that and iTunes, it's no wonder they went under. If anything, I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. The real question is: seeing the technology and the economy change, why did they not try to get in front of this trend when they could have? Instead of offering downloads, some kind of make-your-own-CD kiosk, and great deals driving me to their website, they just kept re-filling the bins with mostly over-priced CDs. The only time I ever go into the store itself anymore is if I must have something before it could get to me in the mail, and I don't think Best Buy would carry it, or maybe to catch an in-store performance with a pretty girl. It's as if Tower has been just waiting to become obsolete. Why do that?

Recommendation?
Anybody seen the new Scorsese film, The Departed, yet? I'm hoping to catch it this week.

Also, has anybody started watching the new Showtime show, Dexter? I stopped to watch it because it features the actor who played David on Six Feet Under. Too lazy right now to look up his name. But, did anyone else find it just weird, creepy, disturbing...and none of those in a good way?

If you're not familiar with the premise, it's this: he plays a super-smart homicide scene investigator (sounds like 10 other shows so far, right?) but he has an interesting hobby: he's a serial killer, who's decided to use his uncontrollable urges for the forces of, uh, good. He kills bad people on the side. Hard to see how a show like that could be bad, I know.

No comments: