Thursday, October 26, 2006

Confusing
I've heard this many times now. Is it true?
Some political scientists and strategists refer to it as the "15% lie" — when whites, bowing to societal pressure, tell pollsters they intend to vote for a black candidate but fail to do so in the voting booths.
I have a hard time understanding it if so. There are legitimate-sounding reasons to be against Ford if you're a conservative and even if the true reason is some latent racism you don't have to say why you're against him. Even if in the poll they ask you why, just spout one of the other bits of nonsense Corker is offering.

I have a hard time believing in, or understanding this phenomenon. I do think people change their minds at the last minute, refer back to traditional voting habits, or worse yet simply like to vote for the winner. To me, that's the biggest danger here: that Corker has momentum and may be seen as the inevitable winner. I have at least one friend who tells me she likes to vote for the winner - it just makes her feel better to be on the side of everybody else.

I know it's awful, but that at least makes some logical sense to me, moreso than the lie-as-some-bizarre-racist-ploy.

No comments: