Thursday, May 19, 2005

This is (not) encouraging
After 2004, I don't believe in polls, especially ones taken far in advance of an election. I no longer believe that public disapproval of Republicans, much less actual screw-ups and bad news, ever actually leads the public to vote against them. If I did, I might be interested by this:
A new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll shows that disapproval of Congress's performance is higher than it has been since 1994, the year voters swept Democrats out of power on Capitol Hill. Americans have grown gloomier about the nation's direction, the economy and Iraq, and by 65%-17% they say Congress doesn't share their priorities.
[SNIP]
When Americans are asked which party they want to control Congress after the 2006 elections, Democrats hold a 47%-40% edge -- the party's best showing since the Journal/NBC survey began asking that question in 1994.
But I don't. So I'm not.

No comments: