Thursday, August 12, 2004

Porter Goss
[UPDATE: Kevin Drum has more scary stuff about Porter Goss.]

You know how "Bork" became a verb to describe what happens to a judicial nominee when facing stiff opposition to the Senate? I'm thinking maybe "Goss" is also on its way, it will mean screwing up your own chances, as in "I think that guy Gossed himself."

If you haven't heard, Bush's CIA nominee unknowingly (because he's a fool, I guess)talked to Michael Moore's producers on camera for Fahrenheit 9/11, saying among other things, that he could never get a job in the CIA, because he's not qualified:
"I don't have the language skills. I, you know, my language skills were romance languages and stuff. We're looking for Arabists today. I don't have the cultural background probably," Goss is quoted in an interview transcript.

"And I certainly don't have the technical skills, uh, as my children remind me every day: 'Dad you got to get better on your computer.' Uh, so, the things that you need to have, I don't have."
If they don't actually have him on video, then he can just claim they made it up, which of course isn't true, but it might get him through. The guy's name has been bandied around for weeks. Moore played it perfectly and waited until he actually got nominated. Beautiful. I hope they still go through with the hearings; I'd pay to see those.

No comments: