Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Up to Here
Gay Republicans have had enough. And they're doing something about it.

"The Log Cabin Republicans this week launched a $1 million TV advertising campaign in swing states targeting President Bush’s support for a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. [SNIP]

'The radical right wanted a culture war. They’ve got it now,' (LCR Executive Director) Guerriero said during a news conference announcing the campaign. 'This is our line in the sand. We were forced by a sense of history and responsibility to respond immediately and harshly.

Our membership demanded it, and our integrity demanded it. The exclusion and discrimination embodied in this amendment violates the principles upon which the Republican Party is founded.'”


Without trying to be critical, I will just say that I don't understand the process by which a gay person becomes Republican. So, I don't know how large a group they can be, but I'm glad to know they're willing, for now, to put this self-interest above whatever other issues drive them. I hope if I ever found myself under similar attack from the Democrats, I would take them on publicly as well.

Maybe Kerry should arrange a meeting with Log Cabin Republicans? Could he manage an endorsement? Would that even be a good thing?

No comments: