Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Now, it's on
I made the case for Dean as strongly, and for as long as I could. I made the case for Edwards after that. Since it's down to 2, John Kerry is the candidate representing me now. His ascendency to the White House is the only acceptable outcome. We must relish the fight on his behalf, and hope that he does the same on ours. I've bemoaned things about him before, criticized some of his positions and his manner of expressing them, but that was like scrutinizing which Red Sox starting pitcher to send to the mound to face the Yankees. Now, the game is on. My pitcher wasn't selected, but I'm still going to root like hell against the evil empire. The only way for Bush to lose is for Kerry to win. It's as simple as that.

I've spoken my last ill word of John Kerry, until and unless he screws up AS President of the United States. No candidate is perfect. But participating in this democracy means picking one. So I will do whatever I can with my time and my money and my effort to help him win. I will explain away mis-statements, cast the fairest possible light on his record, take him at his word, and everything else you do when you believe in someone. I will start right now believing in John Kerry. As of now, he is worth believing in. That's because his opponent is George W. Bush, a disastrous President, whose reelection offers a frightening future that would greatly cost Americans many of the things that make us just, secure and free, and would prevent us any hope of becoming moreso.

Holding a President John F. Kerry accountable would be a pleasure compared to this. The record of this present Administration we simply cannot abide. Let's not lose sight:

Jobs--2.9 million jobs lost, unemployment is up, and long-term unemployment has tripled.
Budget Deficit--Fiscal 2003 saw a deficit of over 500 Billion (with a B) dollars, and it's only getting bigger.
Uninsured--more than 15% of Americans, 43.6 million, including more than 8 million children, were without health insurance throughout the entire year in 2002, the 2nd consecutive year that percentage increased (stats on 2003 are coming...).
Health Care Costs--For 3 straight years, health care premiums have increased by double-digit percentages.
5 to 4--How many 5-4 Supreme Court decisions that we've won in the past will be lost if Bush gets 4 more years?
Special Interests--Unprecedented (and that's saying something) policy influence to large contributors.
Animosity toward Science--They stubbornly throw out facts they don't like.
Disrespect Toward Veterans--Cutting Benefits and Extending tours of duty.
Lies--Including, but not limited to, the kind that got us into Iraq.
Hates Treaties--Has Bush found an international treaty or organization he can support?
Threatens Environment--Weakens or eliminates standards that protect wildlife and humans.
Ashcroft attacks Privacy Rights--The Patriot Act.
Ashcroft attacks Abortion Rights--Subpoenas Hospital Records.

Whatever our thoughts about Kerry the candidate for nomination, I say we cannot resist the Bush record lightly. So I will support the Senator as strongly as I can. What say you?

No comments: