Monday, September 01, 2008

Obama After Gustav
I got a text message from Obama today inviting me to donate to the Red Cross. There was a simple process for giving $5---text GIVE to 24357. I gave it a try and it's real easy - takes about 30 seconds. Send the message, then you will get a confirmation reply and have to respond to that with YES, and then $5 for the Red Cross will be added to your phone bill. I thought it was a beautifully easy way for the campaign to show leadership in a non-intrusive way that rallies the support of millions for a good cause. Give it a try.

This storm has brought out the best in Obama in other ways as well. You should read Jay Newton-Small's account (she blogs for Time Magazine) of Barack's speech tonight in Wisconsin. Here's how she introduced quotes from the Senator's address:
As a journalist who has covered Obama for 19 months now, I have heard him deliver more speeches than I can count. I know when he’s tired he goes long – like 90 minutes long – rambling through oft-repeated points and stories. I’ve seen him address crowds of 80,000 and rooms of less than 100. And after a while you become immune to his prose and tune in only to new wrinkles.

Obama spent today giving curtailed speeches in respect to Hurricane Gustav. But tonight, in front of a Milwaukee audience of 14,000, invoking both the Bible and Thoreau, he was as good as I’ve ever heard him. He spoke for just over 14 minutes but he left the audience roaring.
Go and read what he said, if you read nothing else. And forward it to others. Sadly, with coverage of teenage pregnancy all day, it hasn't gotten the attention it deserves. After Thursday, I don't need much reminder why I have been excited about his candidacy, but this would do it, if I did.

No comments: