Monday, June 26, 2006

MEDIA MONDAY
What have you been listening to, reading, watching?

New Sonic Youth Album
Rather Ripped gets 4 stars.

Elvis Costello
Has 3 new offspring in the news: a tour with New Orleans great Allen Touissant(which he talked about with Rolling Stone), a new recording w/ Touissant called "The River in Reverse" (ON its way to my mailbox even now--I'll let you know what I think), and an actual flesh-and-blood baby, with singer Diana Krall.

Article 19 Film Recommendation
More later on Inconvenient Truth which I saw on Friday--check back tonight--but quickly I can echo what you've already heard: it's a film that should be seen by everyone. And it's a message we can't afford to either ignore or forget.

When Trekkies Play Games
Flipping channels over the weekend I stopped at G4TV, seeing for the first time The Spock Market. I have no idea how it works. There was a Star Trek episode playing in the middle of the screen, a stock ticker at the bottom, and constantly updated statistics on the left, keeping count of such things as how many times "Spock says 'illogical'" "Kirk pauses for dramatic effect" and "Things look dire for the Enterprise." A small box displayed a chatroom. I don't understand it, but I know it's disturbing. Very disturbing.

Weekend Box Office
1. Click
2. Cars
3. Nacho Libre
4. Fast and the Furious: Return of the Stupid Summer Movie
5. Waist Deep
14. An Inconvenient Truth (even though it's sliding a bit down the comparative charts, the $2 million weekend was its biggest yet)

No comments: