Tuesday, August 23, 2005

More God and Science (and more flying spahetti monster)
The NYTimes is running a 2-part series on scientists and religious faith (or the lack of).
Since his appearance at the City College panel, when he was dismayed by the tepid reception received by his remarks on the incompatibility of good science and religious belief, Dr. Hauptman said he had been discussing the issue with colleagues in Buffalo, where he is president of the Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute.

"I think almost without exception the people I have spoken to are scientists and they do believe in the existence of a supreme being," he said. "If you ask me to explain it - I cannot explain it at all."
I'm sure this series grows out of the intelligent design debate, and it is a good read, but it rather missing the point as far as I'm concerned. I don't really care if scientists and science teachers do or do not believe in God. What I need them to believe in is science.

Meanwhile, because the people demand more flying spaghetti monster, you can now display your (and your fellow citizens') inability to disprove its existence with a snappy bumper sticker. Or if more traditional religious art appeals to you, you may want to see this. Both links, of course, via BoingBoing.

No comments: