Friday, July 01, 2005

Blue Lagoon 1, Risky Business 0
Brooke Shields puts the smackdown on Tom Cruise in the New York Times (I'm sure he reads it.).
[C]omments like those made by Tom Cruise are a disservice to mothers everywhere. To suggest that I was wrong to take drugs to deal with my depression, and that instead I should have taken vitamins and exercised shows an utter lack of understanding about postpartum depression and childbirth in general.

If any good can come of Mr. Cruise's ridiculous rant, let's hope that it gives much-needed attention to a serious disease. Perhaps now is the time to call on doctors, particularly obstetricians and pediatricians, to screen for postpartum depression.
I guess we can put Ms. Shields in the category of people, like Matt Lauer, who don't know "the history of psychiatry" like Tom does. He's teetering on the edge of some real serious celebrity weirdness, let alone the stupidity.

No comments: