Friday, January 04, 2008

Election Notes and Speculation Thread
I've been leaning Obama for a while now, though flirting with Edwards and frankly not too anti-Hillary.

Edwards has been the strongest in substance so far, with the clearest presentation of the challenges that face most Americans every day, and of the corporate interests that stand in the way of addressing them. He would be a great President. Or - now - a great Senator. He might be the most determined to bring about change of all three.

Hillary would also be a strong President - she's smart and tough and knows how the system works, and can be used to piecemeal solutions together - a la Bill. That also makes her a great Senator. And it really pisses me off the way media types and the right wing are gloating over her loss.

Obama has something else. Can I be swayed by mere rhetoric of change if beautiful enough? Can I be motivated by talk of a more unified country when it seems a pipedream? Can I be inspired by the excitement of young supporters and their increased engagement in politics? By the sight of a black American claiming victory in US politics? Yes, yes, yes and yes.

I don't know if he would be as successful a President as Hillary Clinton or John Edwards, I really don't. But Obama's is the presidency I want to see.

I don't have to decide until Feb. 5. Depending on how the other primaries go, I could still vote for Edwards. But I'm on board now - Obama '08.

Now, for your weekend speculation, let's think about Lewberry's question. VP choices, for Obama? for Hillary? Edwards? While we're at it...who might McCain's running mate be? Huckabee's?

No comments: