Thursday, July 05, 2007

You Really Must See SiCKO
I would put it right up there with An Inconvenient Truth as essential civic viewing. I know, I know, what I wrote a few days ago about my dwindling optimism about the effects of such things. But the important question Moore asks here - the most important he's ever asked in a film I believe - really should change everything, if enough people saw it and thought seriously about how to answer it.

The only thing I'll say about the content is that the bit that's gotten the most coverage - his trip to Cuba - is a small part of the film and probably the least effective. There's much more to it.

If we can be exposed to a scientific perspective, like that showed in Gore's film, and fail to respond with committed national environmental action *and* be exposed to a personal perspective of suffering and need, like SiCKO demonstrates, and fail to respond there too...there's not much to say for us.

No comments: