Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Movie Recommendation: Zodiac
The advice here is take a good long piss before this - it's a long one. There was lots to like here and it's worth seeing, though far from great. The nature of the story leaves it kind of hollow in plot substance, and that becomes the story itself for much of the film - chasing one's tail and all of that. As you know, I don't like to give these things away, so I won't say more, other than that it's marginally recommended, more for how the search for the killer takes over a couple people's lives than for the actual hunt-em-down thriller aspect.

I'm either annoyed or impressed with the blatant ripoff of Charles Ives' The Unanswered Question marking most of the musical score. A music-nerd signal? (since I am one, I got it) or just a ripoff? expression of creativity or of the lack of it? I'm not sure.

The performances were great, and I'm not even counting Robert Downey, Jr. And the look of the movie was really fabulous. Thankfully, from the maker of Seven, not overly gruesome.

Also, curious - did anyone read the book?

No comments: