Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Ethical Dilemma
Yesterday, I stood outside a polling place in support of a tax increase to fund schools and property tax relief for some senior citizens. The 100 yard mark, past which i was not to trespass with my colorful stickers and informative handouts, placed me practically to the street. So mostly I could only wave and flash my smiling, handsome face in bizarre pointless hopes that someone would drive into the parking lot, be impressed with my efforts and overall friendliness, (not to mention my snappy dressing) and suddenly decide that the tax they drove there determined to shoot down just may be worth supporting after all. Then I could also give them a wave as they left. Other than answering the occasional question, or hollering across the parking lot, those were pretty much my options as an advocate.

One car, though, whose driver steadfastly avoided my resolve-busting gaze on the way in, developed car trouble just before pulling out into the street on his way out. No kidding, 10 feet from me, I heard the tell-tale clicking of a just-dead battery. So I turned around to see a sporty-looking but dusty car adorned with no less than 3 hideous pro-George Bush bumper stickers. I was hearing "heh-heh" in my head. It was a slow voting day. Nobody else was around. He just sat there next to me and clicked his starter for 5 minutes then gave up, and let the car roll back out of the way and sat there in the driveway. It was one of those moments when it's obvious I'm supposed to roll up my sleeves and approach the man in crisis and ask if he needs a jump or wants to use my cell phone. I couldn't pretend like I didn't notice his battery just gave out.

But, damnit, he's a republican, and worse, a proud one. So, what should I have done?

A. Wait for his inevitable request for help. Then tell him to go Cheney himself.
B. Wait for the right moment to say "Need a lift? How about you stick a jack up your ass."
C. Offer a jump but only if he lets me cover his offending stickers with the "Vote Yes!" stickers in my pocket
D. Look over, shake my head and laugh and point every couple of minutes.
E. Tell him FEMA will be there any minute to offer assistance.

No comments: