Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Did Doctors end patients' lives to save them from a more gruesome end in NOLA?
Reader StevenP sent this link with the same question I pose now. Can this be true? From the UK's DailyMail, via commondreams.org:
With gangs of rapists and looters rampaging through wards in the flooded city, senior doctors took the harrowing decision to give massive overdoses of morphine to those they believed could not make it out alive.

In an extraordinary interview with The Mail on Sunday, one New Orleans doctor told how she 'prayed for God to have mercy on her soul' after she ignored every tenet of medical ethics and ended the lives of patients she had earlier fought to save.
I guess I'm skeptical. But it is a very disturbing read. Still, I thought the Mail was a legitimate UK paper. Is it not? I just can't believe a doctor who had engaged in such activity would talk about it to a newspaper, anonymous or not. Has anyone seen other reports of this?

No comments: