Monday, December 06, 2004

MEDIA MONDAY

Ack
I thought we were through with Motley Crue. But no. Stevie T, won't Lee Nixon be excited?

I've never understood the attraction to their music, but then when did I ever understand who tops the billboard charts and why? There is some loud music, some fast music, some raging, angry music that I really get into. But Motley Crue just sound like one big craptacular to me. The "news" was broken by none other than CNN, continuing to live down to my expectations. For an hour through Larry King they teased that a super-surprise reunion of a "major rock band" was going to be revealed, so I stupidly sat through a ridiculous interview with Brooke Shields just to get to it. Watching Larry interview Tommy Lee (introduced as a "rock star and best-selling author"(?)) right before he went on stage was one of the more surreal TV moments of the night. Lots to talk about. Both relatively new fathers. Sheesh.
--11:30 pm

Gift Ideas?
NPR ran a story on gift ideas from independent book sellers. Their list is here. What book would you recommend for a gift? My suggestion is Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything, reviewed by Article 19 here. And no, I am not pushing it as a BzzAgent, though apparently they are everywhere...choosing commerce over friendships in my opinion. I may be wrong about that, but if you ever had a friend who sold Amway or some such thing, you know what I'm talking about.
--4:30 pm

Weekend Box Office...kids/families go to the movies edition
1. National Treasure
2. Christmas with the Kranks
3. Polar Express
4. The Incredibles
5. SpongeBob
--2:30 pm

Back in town. Thanks for filling in, Deb. I know alot of media discussions were had over the weekend. And thanks Lewberry for the documentary recommendation, Cinemania--I'm going to check that one out. But I can't help but still making it media monday. Sorry. I'm a slave to alliteration.

I've hardly seen or heard a thing in a week. And what I did start reading on the plane was a really interesting book on "The Great Influenza" that swept the country (the disease did, not the book...) during WWI. But when you're on a plane with 100 strangers, headed to a tourist mecca that attracts people from all over the world, you don't really want to think about killer viruses that reach across the world and kill everyone in sight. So I put it down pretty quick, but will get back to it soon.

How about you? Did you catch any flicks over the weekend? Read any books? Watch any fascinating or infuriating TV? Hear any good or terrible music?

No comments: