Sunday, December 05, 2004

Homebound Media Sunday

There’s probably a marketing term for media in it’s second iteration: movies when they come out on DVD or on PPV, books when they’re reprinted in paperback, etc. Whatever that word is, that’s where I am in the world of media awareness. Which is why I rarely can contribute anything to Media Monday (as opposed to my mind-boggling contributions the other six days of the week).

It’s not that I don’t want to be hip to the newest movies, books, etc. – I love to go to movies, just don’t have a movie partner or bunch as I’ve had in the past. The only movie I saw in a theater this year was “Farenheit 9/11”. Where music’s concerned, I like and listen to my own drummer, which means a group of artists that aren’t putting out new stuff really frequently. I love good books, but rarely want to pop for a hardcover unless it's a real keeper.

If there’s anyone out there in the un-hip media awareness category, feel free to share your un-hip media experience. It’s ok, I’m here for you, man.

Films
My recent PPV or premium channel movie watching has included the following:
"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" – truly excellent
"The Day After Tomorrow" – unless that’s really possible, doesn’t that hurt our credibility?
"Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" – does Chuck Barris have any credibility?
"The Alamo" – what a waste of a great cast – and there really wasn’t a basement
"Van Helsing" – pretty faces, ugly faces, computer special effects, yadda yadda yadda
"Pirates of the Caribbean" – OK, I’ve seen it 8 or 9 times – I've got a Johnny Depp thing.

Music
Judge me if you will, but my #1 all-time best-loved musician is James Taylor. There, I said it. He has a new CD of Christmas songs out, being distributed through Hallmark stores, and it’s wonderful, the usual JT mix of bluesy and classic stylings on some holiday standards. (He was also on TV twice last Wednesday night, doing “Steamroller” with Joe Walsh on Eric Clapton’s guitar festival on PBS, and singing for the Bartletts on “West Wing.”)


Books
The book I’ve spent most of my time with lately is “Managing Your Search Project”, a page-turner for job seekers. Having lost the will to read politics recently, I haven’t seen a lot on the bestseller list that has called out to me. Anyone?

No comments: