Monday, September 24, 2007

MEDIA MONDAY
What have you been reading, listening to, watching?

Fistful of Quarters
Lewberry and I caught this documentary last week - it's quite good (he liked it even more than I did), the human drama surrounding the controversial world record score of...Donkey Kong. I knew there was a gaming culture in the early 80s, and I know there is a gaming culture now. But I didn't know the extent to which there is an early 80s gaming culture now. If you ever spent any time playing pac-man, missile command, centipede, or especially donkey kong (or were friends with someone who did) you will enjoy King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters.

This quote from the film's Walter Day - video game referee - pretty much sums it up:
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
Watch the fabulous trailer below:

Oh, and by the way, we were trying to remember: what was the name of the submarine game that was always in those early arcades and bowling alleys?

No comments: