Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Female in Photos Speaks Out
Link
[My internal lie detector, not especially known for its accuracy, responds with its wobbly intuition in brackets]
"Army Pfc. Lynndie England, seen worldwide in photographs that show her smiling and pointing at naked Iraqi prisoners, said she was ordered to pose for the photos [I believe it], and felt "kind of weird" in doing so [maybe she did at first].

In an exclusive interview with Brian Maass of Denver CBS station KCNC-TV, England also confirmed that abuses worse than those depicted in the photos were carried out at the U.S.-run Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad [I believe it], but she declined to discuss them.

England, 21, repeatedly insisted that her actions were dictated by "persons in my higher chain of command." [I believe it, although it sounds like there's going to be some disagreement over the chain of command, so those ordering her may not have actually had legitimate authority over her]

I was instructed by persons in higher rank to stand there and hold this leash [I can believe it]and look at the camera," [that part sounds fishy] she said.

England said the actions depicted in the photos were intended to put psychological pressure on the Iraqi prisoners. [I believe it]

"Well, I mean, they [the photos] were for psy-op reasons," she said "And the reasons worked. I mean, so to us, we were doing our job, which meant we were doing what we were told, and the outcome was what they wanted. They'd come back and they'd look at the pictures, and they'd state, 'Oh, that's a good tactic, keep it up. That's working. This is working. Keep doing it. It's getting what we need.'"[I believe it}
Which parts are believable to your detector?

No comments: