Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Strange
Financial Times political correspondent Alex Barker:
George W. Bush’s bombastic return to the world stage has reminded me of my favourite Bush anecdote, which for various reasons we couldn’t publish at the time. Some of the witnesses still dine out on it.

The venue was the Oval Office. A group of British dignitaries, including Gordon Brown, were paying a visit. It was at the height of the 2008 presidential election campaign, not long after Bush publicly endorsed John McCain as his successor.

Naturally the election came up in conversation. Trying to be even-handed and polite, the Brits said something diplomatic about McCain’s campaign, expecting Bush to express some warm words of support for the Republican candidate.

Not a chance. “I probably won’t even vote for the guy,” Bush told the group, according to two people present.I had to endorse him. But I’d have endorsed Obama if they’d asked me.”
I wonder if Obama's campaign could have survived a Bush endorsement?

1 comment:

stevie t said...

Wow, that's hilarious, or wait, it's scary, or.... I'm not sure what it is.