Monday, August 27, 2007

MEDIA MONDAY
What have you been watching, listening to, reading?

In the Loop, Plus a Poll: Tell Doug Why to Get Cable (or Not)
Doug mentions:
I've been going to parties lately and noticing that I can't really fully participate in conversations without a better working knowledge of Entourage, Rescue Me, and Nip/Tuck.
My first thought is: really? Nip/Tuck? I don't think in my experience anyone's ever mentioned that show, or Rescue Me, in conversation. I don't feel too far out of the loop not watching Entourage, but then I never really liked it the few minutes I've seen. Lots of friends tried to turn me onto Deadwood, but best as I could tell, you only needed to know one particular word to get the references there.

Honestly, and frustratingly, the show that I don't watch that seems to have the broadest cultural impact - even in trusted mediums - is American Idol. From the Daily Show to Colbert, Bill Maher, Keith Olbermann to reading Rolling Stone or random blog posts or newspaper articles, its mention - even to trash it - seems near ubiquitous. In fact, I'm thoroughly pissed that I learn as much about the goings on there as I do, having never watched a minute of it. Why do I nonetheless know who the favorites are? Who's hated? Who the previous winners are? I don't *want* to be in that loop but am pretty well lassoed by it anyway.

But then, my second reaction is: Doug, you go to parties? Maybe this is why I don't identify - where are all the parties? I thought all my invitations had dried up because people our age don't have parties. Clearly I'm mistaken and I've been crossed off the invite lists. And who'd've thought that at these (until now) secret parties they talk about Dennis Leary's show? I can't even get a party with a good Timothy Leary reference these days.

Also it occurs to me, given my partyless existence - I get all my TV references from TV (and the intertubes), not actual conversation with other humans. So, tell me good readers: what is the show or shows your life most requires to feel in the loop? And are Entourage, Nip/Tuck and Rescue Me the best reasons for Doug to get cable? (I'm assuming you can watch all the best Daily Show bits online nowadays...) Or are there even better reasons you would recommend, in addition to the shows I mentioned above?

Weekend Box Office
1. Superbad
2. Bourne
3. Rush Hour 3 (sigh...)
4. Mr. Bean's Holiday
5. WAR

No comments: