Monday, August 13, 2007

MEDIA MONDAY
What have you been reading, watching, listening to?

In my rush to last-minute escapism in advance of the start of the school year, I've seen a few films lately. On Saturday I posted (scroll down) my displeasure with having sat through Ghost Rider. Also over the weekend I saw the Billy Wilder classic The Front Page for the first time. Really great! That Jack Lemmon could really act huh? Carol Burnett was impressive too. Or maybe I was just surprised to see her. Also caught Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast - a movie I've been meaning to see in a while. Fabulous! It takes a tired genre cliche - that of luring the retired criminal back for one last go - and thrashes it. Here's what everyone else is watching:

Weekend Box Office
1. Rush Hour 3
2. Bourne Ultimatum
3. The Simpsons Movie
4. Stardust
5. Underdog

Score one for originality! Only 3 of the top 11 are not a sequel, a remake or a TV spinoff. Anyone see Stardust yet? I can't decide if it looks interesting or dreadful.

On another note - I'm excited about tomorrow's Rufus Wainright with Neko Case show at the Ryman. I'm on the front row in the balcony! Will no doubt report back on Wednesday.

No comments: