Friday, April 02, 2004

Oh my gosh, could it really be McCain?
{UPDATE: When I have a decent post, I put it up in a diary on DailyKos, hoping to generate a tiny bit more traffic over here (so far it hasn't worked, but hey). Kos picked up my entry and has his own post here on the subject(I got a thank you which was nice). He includes some voting record info that's helpful/scary. And he adds his own perspective, which is basically that it doesn't matter what the VP's stance on issues is. As long as he doesn't get promoted due to tragedy he's probably right. If it was the only way to win, I'd be all for it, but the more I think of it, the more it strikes me as a desperate move.}

I can't figure out why this isn't big news. It's one thing to lay some criticism on Bush when you're a Republican known for an independent streak. And everyone knows the Arizona Senator is no fan of W. But to say this... (my bold):

"'I believe my party has gone astray,' McCain said, criticizing GOP stands on environmental and minority issues. 'I think the Democratic Party is a fine party, and I have no problems with it, in their views and their philosophy,' he said.
[SNIP]
The Arizona Republican took on President Bush for failing to prepare Americans for a long involvement in Iraq, saying, 'You can't fly in on an aircraft carrier and declare victory and have the deaths continue. You can't do that.'"
The Herald reports that he continued to rule out a VP slot with Kerry, but could this be anything other than an audition? Edwards also said he wasn't interested, and nobody, rightfully, believed him. I don't see any reason to believe McCain either. Perhaps the context would shed a different light on his remarks, but there's no reason to say such sweeping, positive things about the other Party (things he obviously doesn't believe!) unless you're trying it on for size. If only he was pro-choice, I wouldn't even complain about him.

I think that's as nice a thing as I've ever said about a Republican.

No comments: