Friday, April 01, 2005

Reflections on this Most Sacred of Days: Guest post by Stevie T
Try as hard as a I may, I could not avoid writing about my favorite holiday.

Favorite in this sense refers to how much I anticipate its coming each year. In my alternate reality, I spend the whole year planning the wonderfully intricate practical jokes I will play on my friends, family and colleagues. Each joke is matched perfectly to each personality with just the right oomph and gotcha for each person--way overboard for those who will not be offended, and just a little for those who never seem to get my attempts at irony in our everyday conversations.

Yes, one long day of guffaws and frolic, all carefully planned by me. That's how I envision April Fool’s Day every year, from April 2nd the previous year until March 31st, the day when I realize I haven’t planned anything at all.

This year, yesterday, in a fit of panic, I turned to my officemate friend (whoops, April Fool's!) and told her we had to think fast, it’s almost here, my favorite day! “OK, here's what we do! You announce that you're pregnant to everyone! Then we’ll sit back and watch the hilarity unfold!”

Needless to say, I have scrapped those plans, and have now entered my annual post-imbécile d'avril let-myself-down-again depression.

This year I will amuse myself by reading the Top 100 April Fool's Day Hoaxes of All Time, like the rest of the world apparently. Numbers 1 and 2 are two of my all-time favorites. I remember reading the Sidd Finch story in Sports Illustrated when it came out, and being totally fooled by the whole thing.

Please share with us your warm reflections on this sacred day.

No comments: