Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Food
In the Sunday NYTimes Magazine, author Michael Pollan (whose books I've recommended to everyone I can) writes an open letter to the next President of the United States with a series of proposals designed to overhaul our national relationship to food, which he rightly calls en environmental, national security and health care imperative.

I wish I thought a President Obama could/would implement even 1/3 of these ideas. After reading this piece now, if I could ask the candidates just one question, it would be a *really long one* about the concerns Pollan raises. Sadly, it's not a topic that has come up, even peripherally, in any debate.

It is a powerful set of recommendations - some of which you will recognize if you've read his books, but most of which you will not; a long piece, but worth the time.

No comments: