Thursday, December 27, 2007

Bhutto Assassinated
I don't claim to be expert in the innerworkings of Pakistani politics, but in the last few months, as Musharraf looked to be establishing more dictatorial rule, I was moved by Benazir Bhutto's decision to return for next month's election. From interviews anyway, she was quite impressive and obviously willing to sacrifice her safety in pursuit of bettering her country. Doesn't mean she should have had to die, though, just because she was willing to take that risk. I think sometimes we get caught up in the romanticism of martyrdom. Not me. I would rather have Martin Luther King, Bobby Kennedy, JFK, Malcolm X living to a ripe old age, thank you very much. As for Bhutto, it's a sad ending to a confusing story in a frightening place. (Or, maybe, a tragic beginning to a horrifying story somewhere near the end of civilization, depending on how you look at it.)

No comments: