Saturday, October 15, 2005

Wal-Mart Sucks
Your tax dollars at work, and your bill of rights in action. It's no wonder kids have little sense of the importance and scope of their freedom of speech, since they get squashed when they try to take the idea seriously.
"Halfway through my afternoon class, the assistant principal got me out of class and took me to the office conference room," she says. "Two men from the Secret Service were there. They asked me what I knew about the student. I told them he was a great kid, that he was in the homecoming court, and that he'd never been in any trouble."

Then they got down to his poster.

"They asked me, didn't I think that it was suspicious," she recalls. "I said no, it was a Bill of Rights project!"

At the end of the meeting, they told her the incident "would be interpreted by the U.S. attorney, who would decide whether the student could be indicted," she says.

The student was not indicted, and the Secret Service did not pursue the case further.

"I blame Wal-Mart more than anybody," she says. "I was really disgusted with them. But everyone was using poor judgment, from Wal-Mart up to the Secret Service."
Why blame WalMart? You have to read the story to find out. Via BoingBoing.

No comments: