Thursday, October 13, 2005

Public Transport, anyone?
Here in Nashville, officials are reporting record traffic on Metro buses last month, a likely response to rising gas prices. Do you take public transportation regularly? If not, would you consider it, if gas prices continue the upward trend (or stay where they are)? Have you made a conscious decision to not travel somewhere for the purpose of saving gas costs?

In Pittsburgh, I rode the city bus to grad school all the time because it was so convenient to where I lived, and free to students. This year, my current school announced a similar relationship with Nashville's bus system to relieve parking congestion but alas I live too far away. I would only have 1 chance in the late afternoon to catch a bus that would bring me home. If they came around (much) more often I would definitely ride into town that way. Especially since I don't have a car, still, but that's another story.

It's one more reason to live in the city and not the sprawl. But, if you were in charge of the buses, wouldn't you take this time to greatly increase number of routes and advertising and get people accustomed to the idea of riding?

No comments: