Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Rubber Soul (Remastered)Beatles Class Questions
So, tomorrow we start in on Rubber Soul. Here are my two questions for the class to answer: which track is the greatest departure from their previous material? Which sounds the most original/creative/experimental generally?

What do you think?

Got any predictions about their favorite and least favorite songs? Will they think differently about "Drive My Car" after they hear Otis Redding's version of "Respect", released just a few months before The Beatles recorded their opening track? Will they like "If I Needed Someone" better or worse when they find out the intro is an homage to The Byrds' "Bells of Rhymney"? Do these direct influences make the songs less original?

Do I even want to get into "Run For Your Life", which opens: "I'd rather see you dead little girl than to be with another man"? Is the song defensible? Is he just kidding? Using hyperbole? Revealing his character? Just playing a role? Are hints of this side of John already evident in "No Reply"? ("If I were you, I'd realize that I loved you more than any other guy..."). Obviously the sentiment is not unprecedented. Still, how should we hear it?

Should we just not take seriously the words?

3 comments:

stevie t said...

After miserably failing your quiz earlier in the semester, I don't feel qualified to address your questions.

Lisa said...

LOL! Domestic Abuse Threats in Song.....LMAO!

Don said...

There's no wrong answers, Stevie T.

I should point out that the "Run For Your Life" track is actually a kind of homage to an Elvis Presley song. Near the end of "Baby Let's Play House", Elvis sings basically the same line - little girl, i'd rather see you dead than to be with another guy. So, the song has a certain rock n roll lineage they are referring to. Still, strangely dark (humorously dark?) song.