Friday, February 29, 2008

Calling Stevie T
If you are a longtime reader of this blog, you know that a common topic here relates to childhood development - even though I gots no children. I don't know how it got to be that way (a common topic that is, not my lack of children - that, I understand). Maybe it's fascinating because it's so darned perplexing, and because we do all have that in common: we once were children. Maybe it's because we all know that it's the one thing we really can't afford to screw up badly, I dunno. Anywho, a story on NPR's Morning Edition yesterday highlighted one (new?) philosophy toward what kids need and aren't getting so much these days: focusing on something curiously called "executive function."

Of course, everyone, chime in with your reaction. But I'm hoping our resident expert Stevie T will give us the scoop. Specifically, are these ideas new, this "Tools of the Mind" curriculum? Do they conflict with current standard ways of thinking? How does it comport with approaches like the Montessori school (not that I really know what that is)? What's up with this "executive function" lingo? Is that standard and old? Or a new buzz-phrase? I'm not giving any specifics here I know. You actually have to click through and listen to the story, or read it, but you can do it.

No comments: