Sunday, October 09, 2005

Alumnus Letter
Dear Dean Gwaltney and former Dean Simpler,

I read, with some concern, the recent Tennessean article explaining the likely split between Belmont University--my alma mater--and the Tennessee Baptist Convention. Of particular interest to me is not the plan to introduce non-Baptists into the Board of Trustees--that makes perfect, long-overdue sense--it is the description of a particular student's experience:
Ring said she was upset when, on the last day of a Bible class, the professor's teaching assistant talked about being a lesbian. Ring said that didn't "align" with her beliefs as a Baptist, and she thought the revelation was inappropriate and may have confused some students.
As Deans of the School of Religion, I'm sure you would want all former Belmont students to have had similar high-quality theological educations. Thus, I am registering my complaint that my own bible-related instruction at Belmont included no reference to lesbianism, or really any girl-on-girl topics, imagery or assignments.

I hope plans are in the works to offer continuing education in these areas to supplement this oversight. In the meantime, continue the good work.

Your friend,
Don

No comments: