Friday, January 12, 2007

Whither the Protests?
I'm a little amazed that there are no big war-protests popping up. I know there have been some, heard some impromptu yelling through DC news reports the night of the speech but I would have guessed bigger and bigger protests amassing - maybe it's too soon after the announcement? Maybe people are assuming their protest was the November elections and are depending on the Democrats to do something about it?

With 66% disapproving the idea of this escalation and even more disapproving the war generally, how much more unpopular would this war need to become to surpass Vietnam? I would think not much if at all. I know I've questioned the effectiveness of organized demonstrations before (and was rightly upbraided if i remember correctly), but this place we're in now is feeling extra dangerous and desperate. Obviously most Dems, even elected into the majority, don't feel super comfortable taking extreme legislative measures against the commander-in-chief. Maybe it's time to take to the streets?

I notice there's a march planned for Saturday the 27th. Wish I could be there - hopefully it will be well-planned and hugely well-attended.

No comments: